작성일
수정일
작성자
SWEC
조회수

2018 미국 산호세 주립대학(SJSU) 교육 프로그램 후기(0720-0730)

[미국 산호세 주립대학(SJSU) 교육 프로그램]

1. 개요

가. 지원 목적

- 해외 교육프로그램 제공을 통한 해외 SW 기업 취업 활성화 및 글로벌 인재 양성

나. 모집인원 : 3, 4학년 16명

다. 지역: 미국 산호세 대학교

라. 교육기간: 3주 (2018년 7월 9일 ~ 7월 31일)

2. 교육내용: 비즈니스 영어, ICT 특강, 글로벌 기업 탐방, 글로벌 해커톤 대회 참석

3. 경비

가. 지원사항: 교육비, 숙식비 및 보험료 (약 5백만원 상당 지원)

나. 개인부담: 왕복 항공권 및 개인 비용

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018년 07월 20일

We got ready, met together at 9 am, and started traveling with Erik. The weather was really nice to traveling. Really sunny.

After a long time to running in freeway, We passed through the vineyards of Napa Velly and arrived at V.Sattui-Winery.

We listened briefly and went into a warehouse with wines and souvenirs. There were a variety of wines and wine-related souvenirs. I percace two bottle of wine, and some postcards and magnet. After watching, we bought our lunch and ate them together in the grass. The spicy Italian sandwich I bought was very tender. Erik said they made the food salty, because of they want to make consumer to buy wine!

Next we went to UC.Burkeley. The University of Berkeley I had heard was, there are so many very high-level student there. So I was very excited to visit Berkeley. The school was so big. And most impressive ting was, there are so many people to study and enjoy the sunshine in the large gardens and gardens. While we looking, we headed to the gift shop with Erik. On the way, Erik asked about Pusan National University, and Kyungpook University friends who had come before told him that “Kyungpook National University was higher than PNU”. So we answered no, because of their inferiority complex. I bought souvenirs from the gift shop. It was very impressive to study with people of various races as a prestigious university.

After finishing the schedule, we headed to San Jose University again. After that, we packed up our baggage, went to kfc near the school, and take out some chicken. We drank beer with our roommates, Jung-Ho and Min-Jae. We start a simple K-pop meetup party. We danced with the Jung-Ho’s newly purchased speaker in the US while listening to the K-pop song. New speaker was really sophisticated and sound quality was good. We all wanted to buy that speaker. We cooked the Sausage stir-fried vegetables(쏘야) with the materials purchased from the Korean Mart. We have been friends for 2 weeks, but I think we talked to each other while drinking and get closer to each other.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018년 07월 23일

Two weeks have passed since I came to San Jose State University. Classes here start at 9 every day from Monday to Thursday. So I have to get up early in the morning from Monday to Thursday. I find this very difficult. I didn't dream of romantic overseas trips because it wasn't my main purpose, but I didn't know the schedule was set up so early every day. Today, I woke up at 8 a.m. and went to a lecture by Professor Claudia Sanchez with my sleepy eyes open. Today's topic was resume. She learned what a resume is, what should be inside, and how it can be used effectively. Usually I was interested in getting a job abroad, but I didn't know how to write my resume and I didn't know the cover letter I learned last time, but I think I know a lot through the last time and this time. It was a really useful time for me. After a two-hour lecture, Professor Marianne Wheeler's presentation class came. Last time, I went to kiss library and saw various books as well as art works. I remembered the Beethoven Museum and butterflies, the little door in the elevator, and Marianne told me to organize a group and give a presentation on one of them. My group made a theme for the small door in the elevator. The group divided the presentation sections, including introduction, expansion, conclude and Q&As, and finished the class after taking Marianne's advice. The advice that Marianne gave was very impressive : the first little door on the elevator was invented in America in 1865, and in Ellis the strange country, a rabbit hole with Alice, and in 1849, gold was found in California. A small door was built with the motif of Alice in Wonderland, explaining why it was built in the elevator and how the Industrial Revolution that took place 150 years ago had something to do with what is happening now. After Marianne's class, I had lunch and took a class with Professor Simon Shim in the afternoon. It was related to the Convolution Neural Network, but it was interesting and interesting to solve the examples through Google Drive. For dinner, I bought a pizza at a Domino pizza, ate pizza at my lodging. After that, I prepared for hackathon, and ate some meat and drank drinks at night. I wanted to eat meat very much, but it was really delicious. I fell asleep after eating meat and drinking.

2018년 07월 24일

Today was the day when we made an announcement with individual partner at the Effective Presentation for Software Engineers. The topic of the presentation was to present one of the most memorable things I saw on a library tour last Thursday. We went out on a first-come first-served basis and set the order for the presentation. I made the announcement for the second time. My partner Dasom and me prepared the play in presentation form. The first group showed usual format of presentation. So I am nervous I am prepared wrong. Our topic was about a butterfly on the stair well and ceilings of a library called Migration. It is piece of art. It contains meaning of many people living in California and the goals of Martin Luther King Jr. library. We finished the presentation safely and I was ashamed and pleased that Marianne gave us a positive response. - Later on, I heard that she was pleased to show the presentation that we seemed to communicate in person. Because, we were frozen at the first time. - It was really fun to introduce, question and reply to what was impressive.

After finishing English class earlier than usual, we went to a field trip to Yahoo!. Each group took Uber to Yahoo!. Kang Chang-sung, who is working at Yahoo! after graduation, invited us. In the visitor building, we got a guest access tag in stickers and went to the cafeteria to eat lunch. I couldn't believe that everything in the cafeteria with really big, diverse foods was free. And I also realized that Yahoo! is also a place where people from different races and countries work. Though it was a short time, we ate various foods deliciously and went to the conference room with professor and senior. Our senior told us how Deep Learning is actually being used at the company, especially in the search field. It was really fun and meaningful time to hear a story that I couldn't hear anywhere for an hour and a half. Most importantly, Yahoo!‘s work/life balance is 100. I wanted to work at Yahoo!.

In afternoon blockchain classes, they conducted basic concepts and practices on how to deal with Bitcoin. Professor Simon's classes were always enjoyable because they were mostly done in practice.

I'm getting used to it, and now I'm enjoying my life in USA, so I don't want to leave.

2018년 07월 25일

Today, the class of the program officially ended. Claudio is a teacher who teaches how to write a profile for Silicon Valley employment. In the classes held from 9:00 am to 11:00 am, he provided information on job interviews. I learned mainly about behaviors I should or shouldn’t do before or during an interview. Some of the contents are as follows.

Don’t shake hands too roughly.

Don’t slouch.

Don’t stare into space.

Be polite.

Say, “thank you” and “please.”

Speak audibly and clearly.

I also learned how to answer frequently asked questions in interviews. Some of the questions are as follows.

What are your weaknesses?

Why should we hire you?

What are your goals?

What can you do for us that other candidates can’t?

Do you have any questions for us?

There is one more class for an hour with Marianne at 11:10, but today we met her by team to get advice on the hackathon on the weekend. We explained the idea that our team had prepared and she praised it as a great idea. I do not know if her comments are true or not, but I think she is a great mentor who always encourages and praises students. Anyway, Our team and Marianne talked about which title is the most appropriate for our application for 30 minutes and finally we found it, TrackTrek. We like it very much.

After meeting with her, our team went to lunch. I spent a lot of energy in the meeting so I was starving. I had eaten Chipotle, Mexican cook after that I swang by Philz Coffee near SJSU to drink Mint Mojito Coffee. This coffee is the most famous coffee of the cafe. (I really recommend you reading this article Chipotle and Mint Mojito Coffee.)

From 6:30 PM, I take Professor Simon's class. Today, he invited Abhi, an Indian assistant, and ran the class with him. Abhi introduced and explained a website called dialogflow. DialogFlow is a tool provided by Google that I could use to build a chatbot. It was really exciting and interesting. After the class, I had a meeting with a professor at night, and based on the meeting, I made a presentation materials for tomorrow.

Based on what I learned in this program, I am sure that I can become a better engineer.

2018년 07월 26일

We had a final schedule today at San Jose State University. We were invited to the event and had farewell freakfast and final presentation. The breakfast SJSU prepared was really delicious. I always had just a sandwich or bread in the morning, so it was my first perfect breakfast in America. especially, bacon and potatoes tasted fantastic. We had a final check for the presentation while eating breakfast. The topic was to talk about the hackathon subject of each group. We prepared for hackathon for a long time, and marianne helped us prepare presentation in groups. So we can easily prepare the presentation. Also, they learned presentation skills from Marianne for three weeks, so they did not feel nervous about presenting in English. Besides Marianne, many school officials came and watched our presentation and asked questions. As I was asked various questions, I realized what else was needed, correct pronunciations and how made others understand. We will try to reinforce those things in the remaining time. After the presentation we all received certification for SJSU Summer program. Everyone was happy to be certified about class, but on the other hand, they were sad that they could no longer meet Marianne. For me, Marianne was a kind teacher who waited and helped me when spoken in English was difficult. We thanked and clapped our hands to Marianne and the teachers who helped us.

After receiving the certificate, the professors bought us launch. But not long after eating breakfast, we just ordered a drink. We each bought drinks in jamba juice or Starbucks and talked about it in the lounge. We talked about how to go to hackathon in each group.

And we talked about an interesting story we had in San Jose.

2018년 07월 30일

After finishing the hackathon in San Francisco, we returned to San Jose at 7 p.m to enjoy our last dinner. We had dinner at the nearest pizza restaurant in front of the SJSU with our senior Kang Chang-sung who works at Yahoo. We ordered a large pizza, but it produced twice the size of Korean large pizza. I missed Korean food so I put some pepper in the seafood pasta and it gave a flavor of Jjambbong.

We all got together to talk about three weeks in San Jose drinking some wine. No one regrets coming to America and does not want to go back to Korea, especially because of the weather. The weather in San Jose has been perfect for the all three weeks.

I woke up early in the morning and went to check out and take a bus to the airport. Everyone seemed to have more luggage than when they came to the U.S.

This time the flight felt much more comfortable. There were many empty seats and I slept as soon as the plane took off. I was very worried when I thought of my first flight to the United States, but I slept and ate much better than then.

Now I could go around the SJSU without Google Maps, but I felt sad that I had to leave. We had a lot of experience and had a new perspective on the world. I have a memorable experience for the rest of my life and want to come back to Silicon Valley.

첨부파일
첨부파일이(가) 없습니다.