작성일
수정일
작성자
윤혜원
조회수

2018 미국 산호세 주립대학(SJSU) 교육 프로그램 후기(0708-0712)

미국 산호세 주립대학(SJSU) 교육 프로그램]

1. 개요

가. 지원 목적

- 해외 교육프로그램 제공을 통한 해외 SW 기업 취업 활성화 및 글로벌 인재 양성

나. 모집인원 : 3, 4학년 16명

다. 지역: 미국 산호세 대학교

라. 교육기간: 3주 (2018년 7월 9일 ~ 7월 31일)

2. 교육내용: 비즈니스 영어, ICT 특강, 글로벌 기업 탐방, 글로벌 해커톤 대회 참석

3. 경비

가. 지원사항: 교육비, 숙식비 및 보험료 (약 5백만원 상당 지원)

나. 개인부담: 왕복 항공권 및 개인 비용

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018년 7월 8일 

2018년 7월 9일 

16 people attending the San Jose State University education program, we all got together at Gimhae International Airport to take a very first group photo and board flight to Incheon. I had four hours to wait in Incheon. It felt like a long time, but as I ate lunch, planned my weekend trip, and talked about the hackathon idea, it was time to fly to San Francisco before I knew it. Most of us, myself included, had no long flight experience. So I didn't have big worries about long flights. But the 11-hour flight we actually experienced was a big pain. I couldn't sleep because I was uncomfortable. Watched a boring movie, drank beer, but the time remained. After such a hard time, it was amazing to see San Francisco from the sky. I couldn't take my eyes off the window.

Immigration was not as tricky as it was concerned. " I have a Silicon Valley summer workshop in SJSU. " And " For 3 weeks " was all my answer. I and Jieun took 30 minutes more than others to get out of the airport because we chose the slow line to wait for immigration.  Shin Ramyeon passed. We were even caught in random checks of food and were restricted from taking out the stir-fried noodles with hot and spicy chicken a.k.a. Buldak Bokkeum Myun.

Finally, we arrived in San Francisco and took a bus to SJSU. Now, I really wanted to wash and sleep quickly because I was very tired and there was no special schedule for today. But there was a problem. Usually It might only take five minutes for check in the dormitory but we wasted 3 hours. It was sunny and clear but we were completely exhausted. After it was all cleared, we each took a break in our room which is spacious and tidy and had a taco with professor Jae-ho Pyeon.

I had pizza at Sammy's Pizzeria near school. It was nice. I played rock, paper, scissors to eat the last piece and I won and I ate it. Then we had a brief meeting with seniors in Silicon Valley. It was a short time but informative. They gave us a lot of advice. They told us what they felt while working at Apple, Google, Broadcom, and others. We had a good time. It was impressive for me that one of them said, "First, find a field you like and work hard on it.".

It was an unexpected tough first day especially for me, but also it was a day that made me expect the remaining days. And We, who had never known each other before, got closer today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018년 7월 10일

The first official schedule in the SJSU has begun. First, we registered in SJSU’s online student support system. Warshani, our custom program coordinator, gave some introduces about SJSU and silicon valley experience program, regulations in campus, and schedule. Next, Warshani introduced Erik, activity leader in SJSU to us, who takes us to the campus tour. During the campus tour, we briefly looked around the whole campus. The most impressed one was the statue of Tommie Smith and John Carlos. Tommie Smith and John Carlos are American track and field athlete. They won in 1968 Summer Olympics. At the medal podium, they performed ‘Black Power salute’ to protest discrimination against African-Americans. The two athletes raised a black-gloved fist which means black power and received their medals shoeless, but wearing black socks, to represent black poverty. Erik explained to us that SJSU made this statue because they put emphasis on justice, dignity, equality and pride. I felt strongly about that they focus on equality when I saw Tommie Smith & John Carlos’s statue and pride center in student union building. After we finished campus tour with Erik, we had our own free time. As I wanted to look around campus and its vicinity more, I started my own walking tour. I wanted to use Lime electric kick scooter, but it was prohibited because of safe issues. Professor Pyeon told to us about a university student who had big accent while using Lime electric kick scooter without safe helmet. So, I should just walk to go to my own tour. First, I went to Plaza de Cesar Chavez. There were so many people walking around and enjoying their free time in park. While walking through Plaza de Cesar Chavez, I was envious of people who were more relaxed than Korea. Next, I went to SJSU Tower Hall. During campus tour, Erik introduced us about Tower Hall that it is the oldest building in SJSU campus. I came back to my room watching beautiful sunset which made California’s sky much romantic.

2018년 7월 11일 (추후 추가 예정)

We attended today’s course for English in the morning. We first met our teacher and then, we learned how to prepare for presentation well such as impression on Keyword, using body-language, loud voice. so using what we learned, we have to present in front of ourselves about technologies for Computer Science. after finishing the morning class, we watched the semi-final of World cup, Francs vs Belgium in Building of Wellness with other student regardless of nationality, with some snack and juice. we divided and bet the team in half. That was very fun. eventually, France won by one goal and as a result, winner got the coffee in Starbucks.

In afternoon class, we first met prof. simon shim. he taught us what is silicon valley, why this area had center of IT and what is the driving force. class focused on which was related to our major of CS.

In the evening, we went to shop for having home party to greet each other. on the way to Safeguard, we drop by Chipotle to have dinner. I noticed that there is no big difference between Korea and US supermarkets.

and then turned back to our dormitory, we had a party to greet each other with some beer, cheese cake, snack. It was happy day.

2018년 7월 12일

I only here for five days but I deadly wanted to eat some Korean food in the morning. So I ate Korean Cup noodles which is called ‘육개장’. As always in USA, I went to Starbucks to drink real ice Americano. I always felt that many students of Americans wake up early in the morning. I was impressed by diligent Americans.

Today, I take MBIT test with Claudio, join LinkedIn and set up my profile. In order to get a job in US, LinkedIn is important, and when I saw the LinkedIn page of current computer engineers, I wanted to fill my career like them. I went to have a buffet with my friends at lunch. I was disappointed because the taste and variety did not vary as expected.

I went to have a buffet with my friends at lunch. I was disappointed because the taste and variety did not vary as expected. In this afternoon class, Professor Simon Sim brought a Korean engineer from Silicon valley. He explained the project idea. Chatbots will crawl data and create an app or web that seems to interact with celebrity. He suggested that we have a project to make this chatbot together. I thought it was a great opportunity, but it seemed like it was hard to do the project with only two weeks, and I had to prepare hackerthon. So I was sorry but did not apply.

As soon as today 's class ended, I installed the program needed for the ChatBot meetup today and then rode Uber to Hanahaus in Palo Alto. About $ 35 came out. I arrived about 20 minutes late because I was in traffic russia-war. Hanahaus was a collaborative work space. Many programmers were able to sit down and I saw what they were doing, and I thought I'd be a programmer like them.

The class was a little bit different from what I thought a little bit, but when I developed Chatbot, I asked to assistants what I did not know and talked and had fun. I ended up going to eat here, and I met a presenter and got a recommendation of a good restaurant nearby. The restaurant was located in downtown Palo Alto.

As soon as we arrived in downtown, we found the Apple Store. We were all pulled together. I bought a case together and talked to the staff and became friendly. The staff showed us the business room and took pictures together. He also explained about the various events in the Apple Store and told me to come and listen. Then I went to the place where I was introduced to the restaurant, and made only two meals. The amount seemed to be not enough, but it was more than I thought. I added a piece of rice and ate all three of them. There was some trouble in the calculation process, but it came out quickly.

After the meal, we called Uber, returning to dormitory. Since the car was a Hyundai sonata, I got on the car comfortably from the first ride. Uber is a cool driver who loves Korean food such as kimchi and likes K-pop too. He liked a lot when we informed that his car 'Hyundai' was a Korean car brand. He taught me real slang like "keep it lit", "i'mma get the bag", "aye take chill and fill", "forill", "ay bra" Because it is too rhythmical to say, it seems to be rapping, and he rapped in freestyle right away.

He was the coolest and cutest of the Uber driver I've ever seen. I came back to home and met with professors and then I made a short presentation ppt for tomorrow.

첨부파일
첨부파일이(가) 없습니다.